Saturday, December 18, 2010

Gingerbread Gunk

The Erickson's, well mostly Momma Erickson, thought it would be super fun to make gingerbread houses this year! I hadn't ever made a real gingerbread house before, but had experience making the graham crackers/empty milk carton kind. Well we happened to have a couple gingerbread house kits so instead of buying graham crackers, icing, etc. we just decided to use what we had. After about 3 hours Momma Erickson had managed to get the house actually standing up and sturdy. 3 hours! That should have been my first sign...


Gabby concentrating really hard on placing the candies in just the right spot.




Lilly finally just climbed up on the table.


Lilly and Mommy went for more free-form, abstract gingerbread house decorating...



while Daddy and Gabby's was more of an exact sort of design. :)



Here is the final product! Where is the 2nd gingerbread house, you ask? Well in order to take a picture of it, the walls would have had to stand up long enough to take said picture. Since that didn't happen, you get to see Gabby and Daddy's creation. My favorite part is the wreath that looks like it is throwing-up. I think it gives it that little something extra.


I 'displayed' this beauty in the window between our kitchen and living room. Around 1:30am that night, Shaun and I woke up to a really loud CRASH! BANG! BOOM! in the house. At first we thought intruder. On second thought, we realized it was this little creation. Half slid onto the couch in the living room, half crashed into the sink causing quite a ruckus.

I love holiday traditions, but I'm also smart enough to know that I should stick with graham cracker gingerbread house tradition.

On a side note, I've ALWAYS wanted to have a holiday playdate at my house where all the little kiddos made gingerbread houses. Boy am I glad I actually tried it out before planning that little disasterous get together. I may be creative, but clearning the Erickson household creativity does not include gingerbread houses. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment