Thursday, January 10, 2013

Day 4...reality is setting in

So nothing incredibly exciting or horrible happened today, but maybe day 3 of a deployment is kind of like day 3 after a serious workout. The day that hurts. The kiddos and I are doing just fine. We are managing much better than anyone probably anticipated (certainly me). The problem is that our most fun person is missing. One of the biggest things about Shaun, the thing that I might love about him more than anything else, is that he is fun! He's goofy and when he's around we are goofy. I'm trying to get my goofy and fun game going, but it isn't easy. It's been very rainy here the past two days and Mr. Parker isn't feeling well. I can't put my finger on it, but he is just wanting to lay in my lap and be rocked or held while he snoozes off and on. He's trying to get his 2-year molars and they are really bothering him as well. Anyway, it is difficult to channel my inner, very deeply buried goofy and ridiculously fun self when my little man is sick and the weather is gloomy. I'll keep working on it though!

Gabby and Lilly brought home their second report card today and they are both doing fabulously! I'm so proud of them! They really havey no idea what it all means, but after I suggested we go get ice cream tomorrow to celebrate, the decided that were a-okay with this report card business mom was talking about. I've mentioned starting a chore chart for them as a way to earn a little allowance and start learning about money. Well, as soon as I mentioned earning money they immediately started talking about all the things they were going to buy with it. One might say that for my girls, age 4 years and 7 months is when they are interested into learning the value (read: money) potential of working hard. This isn't exactly what I was aiming for, but for now I guess I'll take it...?

Shaun sent me his address today. I'll email it out to family when I'm done writing this. He also sent me the pictures below. I don't know exactly what each is, but I'll try to do my best captioning them!

"Ah, its one of the landmark red phone booths all over London. Well, this one doesn't actually have a phone in it, but what the heck. Its the closest I might get and much better than photographing the uniform red brick buildings surrounding it. Wife requested pictures...Picture numero uno...CHECK!"



"I wonder if I'm allowed to take this picture...{SNAP}! There's a higher ranking general I answer to back at home. Picture numero two...CHECK!"


"A picture of the sunrise...or sunset. Where am I and what time is it???" Upon closer examination, I think this is a picture of fighter jets? Maybe? Clearly I'm an amateur.


"This is cool! Wifee will like this picture." And wifee does.


"I must include one random picture just to make her squint really hard to try to figure out what it is I'm photographing. I told her earlier today that there was serious wind and a dust storm going on. Maybe she'll be intelligent enough to figure out that is what this is a picture of." Or maybe she's still guessing...


"Woohoo! No more red brick buidlings! Those were a little flashy don't you think? I much prefer the Baghdad-esque tan concrete look and beautiful rolling landscapes of rock and sand!"


Thank you for entertaining me with those captions. I mean no disrespect at all. Humor is just how we get through military events like this. Too bad my kids wouldn't be impressed with my synicism ( I have no idea if I spelled that word correctly).

What my kids are impressed with are those capsules that grow things in water. You remember those little pill looking things that you submerge in water and they slowly "grow" into sponge shapes? Well, we brought some of those bad boys out for a little indoor activity today. This was the second time the girls have done these, but the first for Parker. I just had to share this picture. Do you see his little hands covering his mouth? He was so excited when his capsule started to grow! G & L were somewhat excited, but have already figured out that if you peel the clear capsule part off, you can speed the process up just a tad. ;)


Anyone else find it strange that we 1) tell children over and over not to play with medicine but then give them a pill shaped capsule to "grow" in the water and 2) that if they were to ingest such a toy mistaking it for medicine and, assuming it grew inside them like it does water, they would have a sponge in the shape of an elephant, as was the case today, in their bodies? Am I the only one???

One last picture of my sweet P. With no sponge inside him. He cuddled on my chest for about 2 hours today while the girls were at school. Sweet little fella he is!

No comments:

Post a Comment