Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Santa Letters and Reindeer Food

This is the first year that Santa is sending Gabby and Lilly a letter from the North Pole! Our girls completely understand the whole Christmas and Santa thing which suprises me. I have some video I'll upload soon to show you guys just how crazy they are about Santee!

So, there are lots and lots of online companies that charge upwards of $15 to mail your child a letter from Santa. For one, that amount of money for a piece of paper with a generic letter is ridiculous in my opinion. Also, I really dislike how even the 'personalized' letters aren't that personal. So, in case you are like me and want to do things your own way, I'm going to let you all in on a little secret (Okay so probably everyone knows, but you can let me live in a world where I still have secrets that people want to know, right? Thought so.)

You can write a letter from Santa to your child, mail it to the North Pole, and they will mail it back to your child. Therefore the postage will read 'North Pole.' How's that for authenticity. Here's how: Write a cutesy letter. You should definitely include cute stationary, pictures, specifics about the toys they want, and even glitter and stickers if you're really in the spirit! I mean afterall if we can't go overboard during Christmas time, when can we?!? Then prepare an envelope addressed to your child already stamped. Put the letter in that envelope first. Then put the whole things into a larger envelope/package and mail it off to: 325 S. Santa Claus Lane North Pole, Alaska 99705-9998.

Gabby and Lilly's Letters from Santee

When the North Pole post office receives and opens the package, they'll find the letter inside and drop it back in the mail to you. I did this about 5 years ago for my parents and Shaun (and then denied it so they were all super creeped out) and it worked!


This year I'm also including 'reindeer food' to be sent back home for our girls.

Here's the recipe:
½ cup oatmeal
½ cup sugar
Red and green sugar crystals or glitter

Mix all ingredients together. Spread on lawn Christmas Eve to guide Santa’s reindeer to your home!

Teach your kids this poem to say when they spread the reindeer food:

Sprinkle on our lawn at night.
The moon will make it sparkle bright!
As Santa’s reindeer fly and roam.
This will guide them to our home!

And for your listening reading enjoyment...

Santa Claus is Coming to Town
*Gabby & Lilly's rendition*

You better watch out,
You better not cry,
You better not pout,
I'm tellin' you why.

Santee Clause is comin' to tomorrow.

He sees you when you're napping.
He knows when you're a rest.
He knows if you've been bad or good,
So be good for goodness sake!

Oh, you better watch out,
You better not cry,
You better not pout,
I'm tellin' you why.

Santee Claus is comin' TOMORROW!
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Wow...it's so cool to know that at 2 1/2, your girls are understanding some of the holiday traditions! Our girls will be two in January, so this year I'm just looking forward to them being better able to open presents. :) They did get their pictures made with Santa, and - although they were scared silly - they're still talking about his "red suit" and "white gloves", and that they gave him "five".

    That's so funny that you sent a Santa letter to your parents and hubby! I should do that with my hubby, who can be a bit of a Scrooge this time of year. HA!

    ReplyDelete