Wednesday, November 10, 2010

the vet who



My husband Shaun has been a member of the US Military for 10 years and, assuming his health allows him, plans to continue serving our country until he retires. During his first ten years he has served in the Army and Air Force working with different units such as personnel, combat support hospital, supply, maintence, and currently as a non-commissioned officer with the 507th Air Refueling Wing. He has served in several states and in Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom. To say I am proud would be an understandment.

I want to write today to not only tell you about the man I get to spend the rest of my life with, but also the men and women who have looked after and protected my husband so that he can spend the rest of his life with me. So, in the spirit of gratitude, not politics, thank you.

Thank you Sgt. St. Dick, the black man, who was my husband's best friend while in Iraq during 2004.

Thank you to Sgt. Dan Gardner, the white man, who took my husbands place on the deployment to Iraq he was slotted for in February 2008. This man allowed my husband to see our babies being born and for that and his continued friendship to my husband, I am so grateful.

Thank you to Sgt. Delgado, the Hispanic man, who supported my husband while in El Paso, Texas waiting for the day he could move to be with me. Sgt. Delgado's wife was also in another state.

Thank you to Capt. Johnson, the white woman, who crossed the line between officers and enlisted military in order to support my husband while he was learning to balance his routine life as soldier with his new life as a dad.

And lastly, thank you to the unnamed soldiers, who's sexuality isn't accepted in the US military. My husband and I have talked extensively about you who rode with him during convoys. You who stayed up late talking with to him while in Iraq. You who always builds morale with your funny jokes. You who are willing to lead a double life, just so my family might have the chance to be free. Judgement I have not. For that will come in due time for all of us. However, in this time and place, I am simply thankful.

For I know that when my husband serves, he cares not whether the person next to him is black, white, Asian, Hispanic, male, female, heterosexual, or homosexual. For once that uniform is buttoned and those boots are laced, you are an American soldier, nothing more, nothing less. I'm grateful for your committment, your bravery, and your service. May God protect you and your's and may we as a country one day learn to be as selfless and colorblind as you.
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Amen! I hope this post is read by many MANY people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post. You have a way with words:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely said!!! Thank you to your husband for his services. I was a military wife too, and it is hard not to be overly PROUD of our men!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was beautiful. Very well said!

    ReplyDelete