Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First Day of School 2010

Tuesday was Gabby and Lilly's first day of preschool! As I helped each of them get ready I couldn't help but be amazed at how it seems like yesterday that they were 3 months old and I was mailing in enrollment forms to get them on waiting lists at all the best preschools in our area. At the time, I thought I was being completely silly! I am just amazed at how the time has flown by.

Of course I had to take some pictures before we left for 'OU prescoo' as they call it.
Miss Gabby Rae

Miss Lilly Kristyne

Dare I say they are starting to cooperate for pictures...

Then we were on our way! I found these adorable backpacks at a neat craft show last fall. They are black with bright peace signs all over them and monogrammed with the girls' names. Shaun and I gave them to the girls the night before school as a special little gift. They love them!

Walking up to school. Gosh they look so grown up!

The girls had a great first day. The preschool they attend has an observation area so I was able to watch them for a few minutes. They honestly didn't even act upset when I left. They gave me kisses and were off playing! Such a wonderful, bittersweet moment when you children are okay with you leaving...

When I picked them up the sweet teachers said they did wonderful! They played, got along well with the other kiddos, and had no accidents their first day! I was so happy to see their smiling little faces running to me when I picked them up! What a big day for all those little preschoolers!

While I ran errands that morning I stopped by and picked up some special cookies for the girls to celebrate their first day and some other cookies to give to the teachers. My mom used to (and still does) get me cookie bouquets for special occassions and I hope to do that with my girls too. Gabby and Lilly agree. They were in sugar heaven!



As I dropped the girls off Tuesday I couldn't help but think back to this time last year. The girls started Mother's Day Out a year ago and it was the first time they were in a childcare setting. I remember being horribly upset when I dropped them off. I had concerns about whether they would be treated well, diapers changed, get enough to eat, be relaxed enough to nap, not to mention the enormous guilt I felt for having them in MDO just so I could have a day to myself. (Crazy, I know, but if you're a mom, I bet you've thought it too!)

This year I had less concerns because I'm very familiar with the preschool, but it was crazy how different the concerns I have are from just last year. I'm all the sudden worried about them fitting in, making 'friends,' behaving well, using the potty, developing socially and intellectually, and on and on. I guess I'm guilty of thinking that my concerns will disappear the older they get. Tuesday I realized yet again that that just isn't going to happen. Ever.

I called Shaun and was talking to him about this. He agreed with me and said, "I mean think about it honey. When they are 16, we're going to be all What if the boy they like doesn't like them back? Or worse...What are we going to do if he does?!?" So true. :) This parenting thing is not for the faint at heart.

Before I go, here are two pictures of G & L last year on their first day of school. If you'd like to read about how neurotic I was that day, click here!



Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. So glad they had a great first day! I wish I could have been there! They looked very ready to have a great time.

    I know what you mean about the worrying, and you're right, it never goes away...it just changes. This year is Rainy's last and Chantal's first in middle school; a whole bunch of new worries for each of them!

    What a great milestone for your girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabby's shirt is adorable! I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are such beautiful girls! It is hard to believe that our sweet girls are already in preschool...where has the time gone? Where did you get those yummy looking cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!! They look soo cute! What a special tradition you've created. Hard to believe how fast they grow. Pretty soon it will be their first day of kindergarten.

    ReplyDelete