Disclaimer: There is a good chance that if you allow your kiddos to do things like make cookie dough, roll it out, and decorate with icing, they are probably going to end up looking like this.
Recipe
(from our Aunt Monica and cousins Holly and Emma)
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cream of tarter
1 cup. butter
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
Mix first three ingredients together; cut in butter until crumbly. In small bowl, beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla with a whisk. Then blend into the dry ingredients. Cover well with plastic wrap and chill at least 1 1/2 hours (longer is better).
Using a handful at a time, roll out dough to 1/8" using lots of flour. Do not overwork. Cut out your favorite shapes!
Bake @ 350* for 8-10 minutes.
Icing Recipe
1 cup flour
1 tsp. milk (or more)
1 tsp. vanilla
Mix ingredients. Separate into smaller bowls and add food coloring. This will be a thin icing you drizzle on cookies. Ice completely cooled cookies. Tip: Allow each color to dry before using the next. This will allow you to decorate with detail without the cookies looking messy!
I made these cookies for a long time before I realized my aunt and cousins use Cake Mate writing icing to add details to their cookies. Even if you don't use the recipe above, this is a really helpful item to add to you baking shelf! I will warn you that cake mate also makes gel icing writers which do not set up like the regular ones do. They tend to run and stay sticky. Both types come in a variety of colors sure to put the finishing touches on your cookies this fall!










Yum! Gonna have to try these! I get excited everytime I see an update from you, thinking we'll find out what you're having! I'll try to be patient ;)
ReplyDelete