Thursday, September 16, 2010

ch-ch-ch-CHILI!

Food is one of the many reasons I love fall! I absolutely love soup, chili, and other cold weather foods and can't wait every year to stock up my freezers with yummy meals for cold days!

Last week I made chili for the first time this fall. I fell in love with Wendy's chili many, many years ago and before too long my mom ran across a top secret recipe for it! It is so delicious and very healthy for you!

Recipe
2lbs ground beef - I use 97% fat free
29 oz. tomato sauce
29 oz. white beans (recipe calls for kidney beans, but I prefer white beans)
29 oz. pinto beans with liquid
1 medium onion, diced
1 stalk of celery, diced
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 tsp. cumin powder
3 Tbsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. salt
2 c. water

Brown the beef in a skillet over mediu heat; drain grease. Using a fork, crumble the cooked beef into pea-size piees. In a large pot, combine beef plus all other ingredients. Brin to a simmer over low heat. Cook, stirrng every 15 mintues, for 2 to 3 hous.

For spicier chili, add 1/2 tsp. more black pepper.
For chili with a bite, add 1 tsp. black pepper and 1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper.
For a real stomach stinger, add 5 to 6 sliced jalapeno peppers to the pot.

Leftovers can been frozen for several months. I usually freeze my leftovers in single portion amounts so I can heat up only enough for myself if Shaun isn't home for dinner, or two bags if the girls aren't eating with us. And, I've never tried it personally, but I'm guessing this could easily be made in a crock pot! It is super yummy, but don't take my word for it...try it yourself!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment