Our last picture as man-on-man defensive parents. In a few short hours it became total zone!
One last belly picture...Can you believe how big I was?!? Oh my goodness!
My experience having Parker was so wonderful! Almost everything was smooth and pain free! After getting my IV and various other pre-op things in place, they wheeled me to the OR. Once there they attempted to give me the spinal. Apparently spinals are not an easy thing on me. It took almost 30 minutes and a couple attempts, but finally the doctor got it placed and we were set to begin surgery. Shaun joined me (after the longest 30 minutes of his life when he was sure he was missing the birth of his son) and the doctor began. When we had Gabby and Lilly the operating room was absolutely jam packed full of people. I think we counted near 20. And trust me when I say that all 20 of them were running around frantic prior to surgery beginning. On Parker's day, we were surrounded by only 8 people or so. It was unbelievable calm and relaxed.
Once my doctor started the operation, I was an absolute mess. I think everything from the past few month had been building up inside me and decided to come out. I was happy and excited to finally meet my little boy, but sad knowing this would be my last baby (more about that later). As I lay there I tried desperately to remember everything I could about the experience: the coldness of the room, the smooth sound of my husband's voice as he reassured me everything was going according to plan, the chatter of the nurses, the gentle tugging and pulling as this new life was being brought into the world. As I lay there with tears running down my cheeks, my husband and I had a moment that I can only describe as a little message from God reassuring us that He was there watching over our baby.
You see, back in 2007 when I desperately wanted to have a baby, but was having a hard time convincing Shaun it was the right time, a song came out on the radio. Cheesy, I know, but true. Kenny Chesney released a song titled "Don't Blink." It is bascially a song about how fast all of life's moments pass and how we should live all we can in the moment. I loved that song. I still do actually. But, the embarrassing part that I'll go ahead and tell you because if not my husband will never let me live it down, is that I thought that chorus of the song said 'Don't wait' over and over. And since I loved the song and the meaning and wanted kids NOW I was just sure the time for waiting had passed. As you know, we got pregnant like less than a week later, laughed over my misunderstanding of the song, really laughed over it when we found out we were having twins, and still to this day turn the radio up loud anytime we hear it. Shaun and I don't really have a song together like other couples. It just never happened for us. Our family has a song though. And it is "Don't Blink."
As we were waiting for Parker to be born, you'll never guess what song came on the radio in the operating room. Yes, it did. Talk about goosebumps and tears and renewed faith. I become a more sentimental and spiritual person with each passing year and perhaps some of you reading this think a silly song is ridiculous to be so moved by, but for us and what that song means to our family, it was nothing less than affirmation of someone bigger there with us. Affirmation that our decision to add to our family was not only our decision, but meant to be. Affirmation that no matter what Parker's health was after birth, we were not and haven't ever been alone in this journey.
After Parker was born, it was like a little celebration in the OR. When the girls were born they were immediately taken to the NICU. They were in the OR maybe 3 minutes. With Parker, he was in there almost as long as I was. To a momma who's used to her babies being rushed out, I started to wonder why they weren't taking him to the nursery to be checked out! During our time together, Parker was measured and weighed and footprints were gotten. Shaun got to trim the umbilical cord, something he never got to do with the girls. I have to tell you that Daddy was a total baby hog in the operating room. I kept having to make him move so that I could see my little baby from the table! Again, as I layed on the operating table looking at our newest little miracle I tried to memorize every little cry, the look on my husband's face as he held his son for the first time, the feeling inside me as I celebrated becoming a mommy again. The experience was so wonderful, so perfect. Finally, after 10 or more minutes, Shaun left with Parker and the nurses to go introduce our little man to his big sisters! Click here to read more.



No comments:
Post a Comment