Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Story of Us

Kristy and Shaun (pre-Momma Lion and Dada days)

If you don't mind, I think I'll hi-jack my blog and, instead of writing about our girls, write a little about my husband and me. You see, Shaun and I were engaged on Valentines Day 2004. And while Valentines is special to anyone who has a loved one in their hearts, it is made more special because of the significance to our marriage.

At the time, Shaun and I were date long-distance. He was stationed at Ft. Bliss, Texas and I was living in Waco attending school. He came to visit me the night before Valentines and was to stay in town for the weekend.

The next morning he told me to prepare for a day out of town, but told me our destination was a secret. Well, long story short, he was taking me to the Galleria Mall in Dallas. I grew up in Dallas and knew my way around. So, after about 10 minutes of traffic and driving in circles, he pulled over and let me take the wheel. Some would say I've been in the driver's seat ever since! (Joking, guys!:) )

We arrived at the Galleria for a day of shopping, or so I thought. In the beginning of our relationship when we talked about things like perfect dates and other young love topics (ha!) I had mentioned in passing that I wanted to go ice skating on a date. Well, to my surprise, he was listening and had brought me to the Galleria to go skating.

Once on the ice, he started acting really weird. I kept asking him what was wrong and he kept telling me he had a little headache. He was acting so strange that I tried several times to get him off the ice to sit for a little bit. Well, he was being quite stubborn and insisted on continuing our skate. The final straw came when Shaun pulled me into the very middle of the ice, the part where only ice skaters can skate. I practically yelled at him We can't be in the middle! Don't you know anything about ice skating?!?

And that's when he dropped to one knee...


on Valentines Day,

at the Galleria,

in front of four stories of onlookers looking from above.


View from Above

I know he said many beautiful, wonderful things about me and our relationship. Unfortunately, I didn't really hear any of it.

I remember shaking, saying yes, and someone yelling down to Shaun "What'd she say man?", Shaun yelling up, "She said yes!", and lots and lots of people clapping for us!


Blissfully unaware of all the future would hold. Blissful about the journey we were embarking upon.


From there, we started planning a wedding, learned that Shaun was being deployed to Iraq, and decided to elope! That was nearly six years ago.

Sometimes when I look at pictures I don't hardly recognize the two people were we back then. For one, we were skinnier, I was blonde, and he had much more hair! But the trouble recognizing us back then doesn't just stop at the surface. We were such different people than we are now. We were holding onto hope and stepping out having faith that we would make it and all our dreams would come true. At the time, I didn't think our relationship could get any better.

Isn't it amazing how two people think they are completely compatible and could never be any closer than the day they got married? And then, looking back several years down the road, realize that they were only scratching the surface?

For us, the fact that we (I'm mostly sure Shaun shares these feelings with me) feel that our relationship is way better now than it ever has been is ironic. We've been through so much and, if I'm being honest, there have been some very bad, tough times that we've had to work through. Suffice it to say that it isn't easy coping with military deployments, finishing collage and seeking employment, high-risk pregnancy, raising twins, quitting jobs, making ends meet on one income, and separation due to military assignments. How we can say that the status of our relationship is better than the day we met, I can't explain.

Perhaps it is because while the love is the same, it runs deeper; while respect still exists, it has been made stronger through trials we've overcome; while our determination was great, it is greater as we realize what it is we are determined to make last. What we are determined to fight for.

When we first became engaged and married shortly after, we had no idea what our vows really meant. Does anyone who has never been married actually realize the what they are getting themselves into?!? I mean, we knew what the words meant and we knew what we thought the words we spoke would translate to in real life. But, we had no clue how those vows would manifest in our marriage. We had no idea what they would feel like. And we had no idea how such words that are easily spoken are both very hard to keep for six years (let along a lifetime) yet the backbone to everything we hold near and dear to our family. And perhaps most importantly, we had no idea how much meaning was held within those little words.

So, as this Valentines day draws near, it may not be as spectacular as 2004, as extravagant as 2005, or as expensive as 2007. But it will be the best yet because as time goes on, we realize that our love isn't defined by grandiosity or circumstance. It can be quiet, without flowers or chocolate, and filled with the chatter of our beautiful girls. Or, it can be overflowing with excitement and fancy-ness. But, whatever it is, it will be ours. And it will be great.

Our relationship isn't perfect, is usually messy, and has encountered more ups and downs than I thought it would during a lifetime. But for everything it isn't there are 10 wonderful things that it is. It is real. It is hard. And it is worth it. Afterall, there is no one else I want to argue with about dirty socks, proper car care, or necessary trips to the doctor. Suffice it to say that we...challenge one another daily. :)

Happy Valentines Day! I hope you and your's can steal away a moment to remember where your relationship came from and be thankful for all that it means today.

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Sweet post! Hope you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been reading through your blog since I discovered it from Shaun's facebook page (I am a friend from Erie, our parents were friends growing up Linda and my mom have been friends and Dale and my dad were friends as well) I have enjoyed reading your blog and have to say that you have quite a way with words! I have found myself near tears from reading your blog and this has been one of the near tears ones...I just got married a little over a month ago and we are in the newlywed unknowing phase, I hope to have as many great memories and deeper love as you and Shaun do when we have been married a few years! You and your stories are so inspiring! Anita

    ReplyDelete