My house was mostly organized before the girls were born. I should mention that our house also seemed huge back then. We had 3 basically empty rooms, a guest bedroom that was never used and a living room that was sans clutter!
Having a baby changes everything...
Actually, having a baby changes EVERYTHING! That's more like it!
We have been busy organizing, re-organizing, and rere-organizing our house lately. Let's start with the garage.
Before twins we had two cars, a deep freezer, lawn equipement, and Shaun's tools. After twins we have all of that plus two strollers, two bikes, one bike cart to take the girls in (they hate it), one wagon, and usually other things like car seats, reusable shopping bags, toys, etc. So we've been organizing...
One small change for garage... one serious change for available garage floor space!
The girls' room:
This room was always supposed to be the guest room/man cave. Well, two babies later it became a nursery and two babies plus one year later it is slowly turning into the big girls' room. We have removed all the stacks of neatly folded blankets, burp clothes, and all the sweet little clothes that no longer fit (which filled up 5 big bins!) and have redone their closet. B.K. (before kids) Shaun and I knocked out the old closet rods and shelves and put up shelving from The Container Store. This store is an organizational freaks Mecca. Anyways, the shelving is unbelievably sturdy and super easy to rearrange. This is nice because the closet can grow to meet the girls' needs. We reccently readjusted things:
If you look close you can see how the rods have been moved and lots of room has been made at the bottom for toys.This way the girls can get their toys themselves. Unfortunately, Mommy and Dada still have to put them up! Later this year I am going to take off the closet doors and make fancy curtains to hang over the closet with hooks to hold the fabric back. That will make it that much more accessible to the girls.
We have also removed all bumpers, mobiles, changing table, and diaper champ. Right now their room looks so empty so we are busy planning how we are going to spruce it up. I see painting in Shaun's future, but more of that to come!
Our room:
Not much has changed here except that our sweet Lilly is finally out of the closet! That's right. She now naps in our guest room. It was kind of hard for me to make that change. You see when the girls were first born they both stayed in our room for a month. When that wasn't working out, we moved them to their beds, swings, and anywhere else they would actually sleep! Around 4 months they were sleeping only in their room, but disturbing each other during naps. So, we decided to move Lilly somewhere else...our closet. In all honesty, we have a really big closet with lots of space, two heating/AC vents, total darkness, and very little sound. Lilly loved it. She wanders into our closet when she is sleepy and tries to scale the side to get in. And I have zero guilt about letting her sleep in there. But, all good things have to come to an end, and beginning today we kicked our last baby out of our room! (At least for now...who knows what might be ahead?)
Can you see sweet Miss Lil
Please don't look at the surrounding closet. It is really hard to keep your room and closet clean when a baby is always in there asleep during nap time!
Guest Room:
This room was orignally supposed to be the nursery...you know...the singleton baby nursery. Now it is a guest room, but it is quickly on its way to yet another purpose. And, sorry to disappoint, but I'm not ready to tell what the new purpose is yet. Give me a couple days, people! I will say that I made black-out curtains for the room (hence Lilly sleeping in there) and have cleared all of Shaun's stuff out of the closet. Poor Shaun. Before kids he had to himself an entire big room and closet, then a smaller room and closet, then just a closet, and now he offically has nothing to himself. Bummer!
Laundry Room:
I love my house. However, if there was anything I could change about it, I would make some changes in the laundry room. It just isn't big enough! We added the grid and hooks you see below so that we had somewhere to hang the 46, 793 wet washclothes we accumulate during the day. It is so handy!
Attic:
Let's just say that I hope it doesn't fall through the ceiling tonight! Did I mention Shaun has been gradually added more and more flooring to it ever since our double blessings arrived? And we keep filling it? Needless to say, Shaun and I have a 'date' with the attic this fall...and I'm just thrilled, don't cha know.
Our house is no mansion, but it's not a cracker jack box either! I can't believe it already seems so cramped! Where did the space go???









No comments:
Post a Comment