I'm probably a little biased, but have you ever seen such a cute little face?!?
Can I just tell you all it has been the most crazy, wonderful couple of weeks around my house! We spent so much time enjoying each other's company, playing, relaxing, and getting ready for our little brother to arrive! We've also dealt with two different stomach viruses and two rounds of colds, but all in all it has been a much needed time of rest and relaxation for our family.Okay, so about my little man. I haven't updated in a while and since I mostly write this blog to document our lives, I'm going to catch everyone up.
26 Weeks
Noticed Parker wasn't moving as much. Doctor wanted to do an ultrasound to make sure everything was okay. A high, but normal level of amniotic fluid was found. Doctors determined I would be monitored more closely to watch this.
28 Weeks
Went to doctor for routine 28 week visit. I had gained a little bit too much weight during the past month. A trace amount of protein was also present in urine (which is a sign of preeclampsia) and I had more swelling than the doctor wanted at the time. I literally broke down sobbing in the doctor's office because I've been down the preeclampsia road before and it was not something I wanted to do again. My doctor also noticed that I was measuring too big for his liking so he scheduled another ultrasound in a week and a half and an appointment to monitor my blood pressure issues. He sent me home with orders to take it easy.
29 1/2 Weeks
Went to doctor for ultrasound and follow up appointment. Parker looked good on ultrasound. However, it was determined that I definitely had too much amniotic fluid. Basically, a normal pregnancy will have 5 to 20cm of amniotic fluid. At this point, I had 29 cm. I was diagnosed with polyhydramnios and referred to a perinatologis (the same one we saw with the girls) to make sure things we alright. Not a lot is known about polyhydramnios. In about 65% of pregnancies like mine, a reason for the extra fluid is not determined. If there is a cause, it is usually related to the baby having a cleft lip or palate, problems with heart, bladdar, or kidneys, neurological problems, or occassionally organs being attached to organs they are not supposed to be attached to. We would have to wait a week, the week over Christmas mind you, before we saw the perinatologist for the high level ultrasound. We actually saw him 3 years to the day that we saw him with Gabby and Lilly. There was good news on the blood pressure front. My pressure was normal, protein remained at a trace, I lost 3 pounds, it was determined that some of the weight I gained was due to amniotic fluid, not fluid retention due to preeclampsia, and my gestational diabetes test was negative.
30 Weeks
We went to see the perinatologist the Monday after Christmas. High level ultrasound have the ability to not only see more in depth and in 4D, but also color code blood and fluid flow in and out of the brain, umbilical cords, etc. This is what would help is see what if anything was going on with our little man. We received the best news possible at this point. Nothing on ultrasound looks abnormal at all. Other than being sloshy as I tell everyone, there so far was no evidence of a problem with baby Parker. There are still uncertainties. For one, we will continue to have ultrasounds with the perinatalogist to ensure nothing problematic presents itself. There are also many issues that are not detectable by ultrasound. For example, if Parker's tongue was connected to his mouth in a weird way, we won't be able to tell until delivery. There are several other issues like this as well as infection that may become evident at delivery. That is a terrifying thought, but as my husband and I have learned from previous experiences, God is in control and can do far more than we can ever imagine. So, we're giving all this stuff to him to handle. I mean seriously. I can barely handle myself these days anyways! :)
31 Weeks 4 Days
Went to regularly scheduled ob appointment. Because I've been having lots of contractions, several times as close as 2 minutes apart, they checked me and determined that I'm not dialating at all and the Baby Parker is still up high. More than likely I'm not going to go into labor anytime soon. My blood pressure issues were all the same or better as well. The doctor talked to me about how delivery will be due to the polyhydramnios. More than likely Parker will get to be treated like any other newborns (assuming he is born full term). Unless something major as in heart or neurologically presents itself immediately after birth, he will go to the regular newborn nursery. Then we will monitor him closely during feedings. If there is a cause for this issue, it will most likely be noticed during eating, digestion, or some combination of the two. At that point he will be assessed and a plan of care would be created. On a lightly note my doctor, the wonderful man he is, felt the need to share with me that because I am so sloshy (have so much fluid) the OR staff will literally have towels on the floor, buckets under the operating table, and be wearing what he referred to as high boot like things covering their legs...in laymen's terms: waiters! Can you believe that?!? Let me tell you friends. Towels, buckets, and waders are three words you really don't want associated with the birth of you child! Holy Moly! I suppose being embarrassed is ridiculous because I can't really control it, but embarrassed is exactly how I feel! And lastly, I will begin non-stress tests twice a week starting Monday to monitor my contractions and how Parker reacts to them. If you're keeping count, that means I will have one more week of two doctors appointments per week and then have three to four for the remained of my pregnancy. Oh what fun!
Okay, so for family who wants to know more about this issue. Click here. Basically we are planning to keep our delivery date of February 28th (even though I all but certain I won't make it). If all continues to go well with Parker, the main concern will be keeping me from going into labor. Because I have more fluid, I'm noticably bigger (as in I look like I'm due any day). We are hoping my body an take being stretched out gigntically again so that Parker can have all the time he needs. My doctor told me this past week that as far as I'm concerned, this pregnancy is like being pregnant with twins again simply because of all the fluid. He said I probably have more now than I did with both Gabby and Lilly. *Shakes head in disbelief.* There are other risks to me because of this, but they are similar to when I was so big with Gabby and Lilly. With everything else to worry about, I'm not going to worry about me. Spoken like a true mom, right?!?
Okay, I've saved the best part for last. Having so much excess fluid means really amazing ultrasound pictures! Here is our little man in all his perfection!
That readers is a smirk just like his Daddy does. :)
Little fist and foot
He has all 10 toes
Parker looks so much like Gabby and Lilly in this picture. The jaw line and mouth are identical to ultrasound pics of G & L.
So, whatdaya think? Even though this has been stressful and overwhelming, I can't explain how excited I am to meet this sweet little boy! I could (and will eventually) go on and on about how wonderful its been to get to be excited, instead of terrified, during a pregnancy. He is already such a blessing and he isn't even in our arms yet! I can't put into words how excited I am to meet my Baby Parker!!!
So, if you hear a report of a tsunami in Oklahoma anywhere from mid to late February, that's your clue that Baby Parker has made his arrival into this world! :)








No comments:
Post a Comment