Tuesday, January 11, 2011

1/11/11

Five years ago today, my husband and I were on a beach in Mexico soaking up the sun.


Today...well he's been at work all day and I've been home with our kiddos avoiding the frigid weather Old Man Winter has brought our way.

The picture above is in a frame in our guest bathroom. It is decorated in a beach theme in case you were wondering. And, because I spend lots of time in the bathroom these days, you'll understand how I happened to notice this picture and its date. It reminds me of a fabulous time we had, but makes me laugh even more. I remember wondering back then how our life could be any better. We had been married about a year and a half and had just moved into our second, and favorite apartment, we'd ever share. He was bigger than now and I was smaller. I had dark hair and he...well he had hair! So strange how just five little years can change so much.

I think if I could go back and talk to that girl I'd tell her to stop planning her future. That God's five year plan for her put her own to shame. I'd tell her not to fret over the $600 spent on excursions, souvenirs, and drinks while aboard. That one day she'd be spending her $600 on groceries, gas, and necessities for her growing family...gladly spending it on that, but spending it on needed items all the same. I'd tell her to drink another double 7 & 7 because two really isn't much and there'd come a day when she couldn't have anything to drink at all. I'd tell her to appreciate her tummy even though it isn't in bikini wearing shape because the next five years are going to take a serious toll on it!

I'd tell her to be kinder to the man standing beside her because during the next 5 years she would witness him grow from a fun-loving, kind guy into an honorable, hard-working, dedicated man and daddy and that at the end of the five years she'd really wish she had been as good to him as he had been to her. I'd tell that girl to learn how to loosen up quickly; that she's going to be forced to learn how to sooner or later and that it would be more pleasant if she decided to do it herself rather than have it imposed on her. I'd tell her to stay up even later and wake up even earlier. To appreciate being carefree instead of overlooking the fact that she was. I'd tell that girls that in five years she's going to have a hard time recognizing who she was exactly back then, but that the person she becomes is just as good if not better.

And lastly, I'd tell that girl that she seriously needs to set her excitement standards a little higher; that the next five years would be the best, most unbelievable years of her life. That they'd be tough, but the beginning of all her dreams seeming to come true. I'd tell her she's not doing too bad. And that everything will be okay. And then I'd tell her to go roll around in the sand with her hubby when everyone will still attribute her behavior to being young and carefree (when really I'd just mean she ought to roll around while she physically can)!

I can't even imagine what the next five years will be like. Here's to living them boldly and finding out!



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment