Wednesday, March 24, 2010

An Easter Project

We are making a real grass Easter basket to be the centerpiece at our Easter dinner. And by we, I mean they...

"I love having my hands in the dirt. It is never a science and always an art. There are no rules."
~Matthew McConaughey


If you'd like to make your own real grass Easter basket follow these steps. You still have time, but you gotta hurry!

What you'll need:

Basket, any size will do
Miracle Grow Potting Mix (it is more expensive, but the nutrients help the grass pop up quickly) Rye grass seed (or any grass seed that germinates in 7 days)
Water
Sunny location indoors
Heating pad (optional)
Your children (not optional...deal with the mess because they will LOVE this and never forget this Easter!)

What to do:

1. Line the basket with paper to prevent dirt from falling out holes. Don't use plastic because water won't be able to drain.
2. Fill basket with potting mix, leaving about 1 inch at the top.
3. Spread grass seed on top of soil. More is more in this case. You won't thick grass so be a little heavy handed.
4. Sprinkle the littlest amount of soil on top of seeds. You don't even have to have the seeds covered.
5. Set in a sunny location indoors. If you won't to stimulate growth quicker, put the basket on top of a heating pad.
6. By six days the grass will come through the soil and by 12 days or so it will be about 5 inches tall! No kidding, we did this at the school my girls go to and it worked like magic!
7. Adorn your table with your beautiful real grass Easter basket filled with perfectly dyed Easter eggs, give your self a pat on the back, and enjoy all the compliments.

How Martha of you!
***I will post pictures as our basket comes together! Did I mention I love doing projects with my children?!?***

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Looks like they had a lot of fun!!! They are so cute! I have a Gabbi too, she has a twin brother! I am a new follower! Visit me at http://alittlesugar-n-spice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How Fun! Can't wait till Olivia & Sophie can do that.

    ReplyDelete