Wednesday, February 13, 2013

flu, who knew?

I know it's been a week. Sorry! Let me catch up with sharing some pictures!

Shaun made the headband that Lilly sent to him. And then he posted it on facebook. I showed her this picture and her face lit up like crazy! When Shaun thanked her for sending it so his hair wouldn't get in his face, she was all giggles. He's such a great daddy!

Untitled

Since I'm always on the lookout for way to get out of doing my usual chores, I've picked up several sewing projects. These are legwarmers or babylegs some people call them for my girls. They actually wear them on their arms a lot and sometimes in the place of boot socks. I mean I had to get these done before Valentines! Tonight I actually made them two dresses each, mended two dress up dresses, sewed the ties down on their robes because I'm tired of them being used as dog leashes, and made two pairs of their sweatpants into short little capri like pants with elastic. The girls will love them because their older cousin has pants like them! All those projects definitely took up some chore time. Excellent! ;)


Untitled

Parker LOVES to play pretend with food. He's always bringing me dishes of goodies and then asking me to feed him "hum" which means some. He loves it! The nerd in me loves seeing his cooperative play interests starting to develop!

Untitled

So if that was cooperative play, does that make this parallel play? Hehe. I'm thinking it just makes for 3 crazy kids determined to be right underfoot while I fold laundry!


Untitled

Shortly after playing in my laundry baskets I took the girls to school. This was Friday. When I picked them up, my Lilly girl was sick. She had a low fever maybe (our thermometer wasn't giving me an accurate reading). Anyways, I always have a hard time telling if they are truly sick late in the week or just tired from school and no naps. Anyways, I waited until Saturday to see how she was doing. Well by Saturday it was definitely clear something was bothering her. Because I knew the flu was going around their classroom, and because Tamiflu only works when started within 48 hours of flu symptoms, we went to Urgent Care.

Untitled

She had a flu test and strep test. Flu was positive. Arg! She was put on Tamiflu and sent home. The pharmacy didn't have the oral suspension Tamiflu and can't get anymore of it. So, I've been opening up Tamiflu capsules and mixing the powder with chocolate syrup ever since. It's not ideal, but at least she's getting the medicine. Parker enjoys his twice daily spoonful of chocolate syrup as well (because you know he would never be okay with being left out!).

After getting Lilly home and settled in with Grammie (who has been my lifesaver through all this!) Parker and I went to the store to stock up on medcine. Here is P snuggling a "wibbit." Hey, tom-A-toe tom-ah-toe. What you call a frog other way cuter people call a wibbit. Nothing wrong with that! ;)

Untitled

Here's our stash. Seriously.

Untitled

That brings me to Sunday when child #2 fell to the flu. Again we went to Urgent Care and sure enough she was also diagnosed with the flu and prescribed the same meds. She actually started Tamiflu within 12 hours of symptoms and it has made such a difference! Lilly dealt with a lot of congestion and prolonged episodes of fever. Gabby's only true symptom was slight fever and body aches. I'm a believer in anti-virals!

Untitled

My sweet Gab wouldn't even look at me in the exam room. She asked to lay down, had me turn off the lights, and then wanted her back rubbed. And that is exactly what I did for about 20 minutes. I never like it when my sweet ones are sick, but one-on-one time is rare right now and I think she soaked it up!

Untitled

Monday was mostly a decent day. The girls acted almost normal much of the day, but went downhill fast during the afternoon evening. I think they had just worn themselves out!

This is Parker, well mainly his feet I suppose. He's all about "whiting" as his calls it. Notice the marker in his hands. And the drool. Not sure what that is all about!

Untitled

Here he is asing me to draw a "noman" (snowman) and "ba" (ball). The boy loves both!

Untitled

The girls were up and dressed before I even heard them on Monday. Then they apparently heard a hummingbird (because those most definitely sound different than a regular bird you know) and were looking out the bathroom window to find it. I don't ask. I just take pictures. Lilly even did her own hair. Three pigtails people. Three!

Untitled

The girls spent some time playing also. This is the spread they came up with!

Untitled

Tuesday is the day I take packages to the post office to be mailed to Shaun so late Monday night I made brownies for both him and the guys he works with. They enjoyed the last ones I made so I sent some more. Like I said on facebook, I realize I regress to a 15 year old girl when I write on/send things to my husband. What can you do?!?

Untitled

I also made two batches of puppy chow: one is red velvet puppy chow made with chocolate. The other batch was traditional peanut buttter chow. And yes, I had to lie profusely on my little customs slip in order to send these goodies. Thankfully, I've gotten to know one of the guys that works at the post office really well. Well, actually only well enought to know that he is the only one who doesn't ask questions. He just stamps on all the pages of the customs slips and puts the postage stickers on. I bet you can guess who's line I try to be in!

Untitled

Tuesday Lilly and JJ did a little coloring...

Untitled

And then she worked on her containment skills. Hehe! I was in my bathroom when I heard a muffled voice that I thought was Gabby's say "Hey, dis is not very comfy." I decided I better check to see what was up and this is what I found. Look close or you might miss it!

Untitled

I check on our kiddos every night before bed and this is how I found P last night. The pictures aren't great (in fact I think all the pics on this post are camera phone pics so sorry about that), but I still had to get it! He's laying kinda in a pose I put my newborns clients in when I'm photographing them. I just had to take a picture of my big guy hamming it up in his sleep. His mouth is my favorite part!

Untitled

One more. Sweet dreams little man!

Untitled
I plan on catching up on my 52 week photo challenge tomorrow. I have the pictures and I need to post them! Also, I'm sorta a political junkie (shhh...don't tell!) and I wanted to mention something from tonight's State of the Union address. I could go on and on, but then I would offend everyone I'm sure. Hehe! Anyways, did you catch the part of President Obama's speech that advocated for education programs for children ages 3 and 4 year olds? Well he mentioned Oklahoma and Georgia being leaders of this effort. I'm proud to say that my girls are part of the prek initiative he was talking about. They go to prek in an elementary school, are taught by a certified teacher with at minimum a Bachelor's degree, and learn a curriculum that is set by the state (PASS skills now, but Core Curriculum Standards beginning next year...if you don't know what that is, look it up...it's a BIG deal in the education world right now).

Basically, all the research shows that the earlier a child learns in a formal environment, the more successful both academically and socially (lower teen pregnancy rates, higher marriage stability rates, etc) the child is later in life. As an early childhood educator and mother of two kiddos in this program he was speaking about, I got excited! I also got excited because I'm very passionate about the educational experences my children have and feel like they are having the best expeience this year. It was all just very exciting to me! I mean it's not every year that the president mentions your profession in the SOTU speech! Yes, in my next life I plan on being a political pundit...or maybe later in this life. Y'all would forgive me, right?!? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment