Tomorrow is Mother's Day, my third and almost fourth. Gabby and Lilly were born 3 days after Mother's Day 2008. I understnd that the purpose of this day is to exhault our mothers for all the love and care they show. And, when it comes to my mother, I'm all about Mother's Day. However, I don't much like being put on a pedastol or revered for a day. It feels a little strange actually. This year I asked my husband not to make me breakfast in bed because I think the stress of hearing my kiddos go crazy, begging for breakfast, while my husband put me first, would totally overwhelm me. :)
I guess Mother's Day for me is more of a day to just be with my kids, be a mother, and remember how I ended up where I am today. I remember in highschool talking about our plans for the future. I'm a planner, no doubt, but this question really threw me off. I grew up in Dallas and I felt it to very much be a career oriented culture. Its fast paced and exciting. So, like all the other kids I had plans and dreams for my future. I wanted to be a doctor, perhaps a lawyer, more than likely a teacher, or perhaps even a counselor...if being a mommy didn't work out.
My dream for as long as I can remember has been to have a family, one that can stay together for the long haul. Where the pitter-patter of baby feet was loud and the buzz of the busy outside world was quiet. In my eyes when I was younger, that dream just didn't hold up to the expectations I thought other's had of me and that our society impresses upon its chilren. I mean wouldn't I be considered unsuccessful if I didn't conquer the career world? Wouldn't I be considere a failure? Needless to say, I never shared these silly dreams except with a couple bestfriends back in the day.
I even intended to go back to work after having my 'baby.' You all know how that worked out. I just thought I was supposed to. That families can't make it with the mommy staying at home. That I wouldn't be happy just being with my kids. That I could conquer the workforce world and be a mommy and have no guilt or second thoughts about doing so (which I believe is a total lie, but that's another post).
Now, I think that person was crazy! I am so thankful for a series of events that lead to me being the kind of mommy I wanted to be and having my dream job. I am so thankful that God put my husband Shaun in my life. He was raised by a mother who stayed home with her children and a father who was absolutely supportive. He completely validated my dreams, no matter how inconsequential they may seem, and continues to work every day of his life in order to provide a wonderful life for us. I am so thankful that my plans were humor for God and that His plans were so much greater! Its so true that He knows our inner most wants and desires! I am so thankful for a mom who conquered the professional world after raising her kids and supports me daily in my efforts to be a good mommy. And, lastly, I am so thankful for my babies. I am so blessed to be their mommy on this earth and be the one chosen to care for, love, and protect such precious souls. There is no way to explain just how grateful I am.
So on this Mother's Day I pretty certain of a few things. I love my job! It is way better for me than working in an operating room or spending my days in a high-rise building over looking the city below. My purpose in this place and time is to be a mommy and raise a family. Who knows what's in store down the road? I'm sure my purpose will change as the seasons of life change, but for now I'm good. I am anything but unsuccessful and failure material. And if I spend the rest of my days on this earth just being with my family and my kids, I'll leave here a happy girl!
Happy Mother's Day to my wonderful mommy and any wonderful mommies reading this! For whether your dreams have you seeking the White House, teaching children in a classroom, or wiping noses and bottoms all day long, you are all among the best of the best this world has to offer!
Sunday, May 13, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment