Sunday, May 13, 2012

life lessons from my twinkies

So, I hear that as a parent I am supposed to teach my children and set them on a path for success. Ironically, I'm completely certain that in the 4 short years Gabby and Lilly have been in my life, they've taught me far more than I'll be able to teach them in a lifetime. Here are 4 life lessons my girlies have taught me, one for each year!

In the NICU, holding my miracle babies at 3 days old.
Babies are here 096 edited 

1. Less is not more. More is more. Whether its tutus, liptick, or number of babies, more is more! Remember growing up and having your grandmother peering over your shoulder as you applied lipstick as a young girl? Remember how she'd always stop you at a certain point and say that less was more? Well, she was wrong! Gabby and Lilly have taught me that less is more is silly nonsense. Life's too short to do anything less than 100% the way you want. If you want to wear 4 tutus, go on with your bad self and do it! If you want to eat 3 cupcakes and 2 scoops of ice cream, what's stopping you? And more importantly, if two babies...more than you thought you'd ever have at once...are part of your life plan, soak it up! More is happier, livlier, and fun-er (a word I've learned from my twinkies). More is more!

My 1 year old bitty baby bugs!

23 

2. God is in control. I am not. Yall know I struggle with this. But, time and time again from the time I became pregnant with my one baby-turned two and during the past 4 years, my girls continue to prove that God's plan are way better than mine. That He wouldn't bring me this life, if he wasn't going to be there every step of the way pulling me through it. Like I said, I struggle and am always trying to move into the driver's seat, but in my heart I know my girls are teaching me daily to let go and let God.

My 2 year old cowgirls!

2 Bday 3 

3. I'm a lot closer to crazy than I think! Yes, you read that right! Gabby and Lilly have used the past 4 years to show me just how far I can be pushed; how close I can get to the edge. Thankfully, they haven't pushed me over it. Yet. I'll be sure and keep you posted on that!

My 3 year old princesses!

DSC_4381 portrait 11x14 lr

4. The simple things in life really are the best. If you've had the priveledge of listening to sisters giggle, laugh, and play together, you know there isn't any sweeter sound. If you've heard the pitter-patter of little feet, you know that not even the world's best orchestra could sound better. Whether its holding a little hand, kissing a booboo, or tucking my girls in snug-as-a-bug-in-a-rug, Gabby and Lilly have taught me that the smallest, most simple things are truly the best!

My 4 year old ar-tists!

8 

Maybe during the next 4 years I'll be able to play catch-up and teach my girls as much as they are teacing me. I have to admit though, I'm not too confident. They are by far the best teachers I've had in this classroom called life.

The countdown continues...2 more days until G and L are FOUR! Unbelievable!

2 comments:

  1. What a great post! I think I learned to give up any control the minute I found out my one baby would be 2 also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing! I have twin boys who came early and I have 3 other kids. God definitely has way different plans then I have. I don't get to hear lots of girl giggles (I only have one), I get to hear lots of "shooting" and lightsaber fights!

    www.alliec5.blogpost.com

    ReplyDelete