So tonight, given that it is Mother's Day, I'd like to take a second to thank the mothers, both actual and motherly figures, who've helped shape each and every role I must assume.
First, my momma, otherwise known as Grammie. Thank you for helping me be strong, confident, and unapologetic for who I am and how I feel. Thank you for raising me so that I still hear your voice when I'm about to do something I shouldn't. If it wasn't for you, I sometimes feel like I'd be a little boat up against huge ocean waves. I don't want to even think about not having you in my life. How lucky am I to have gotten you as my momma!?!
Second, my mother in law Linda (aka Grama). Thank you for showing me how to accept other's into a family. You have been so warm and accepting of me during the past 7 years. I know it can't be easy to 'let go' on a son when they grow up (actually I don't know, but after only 2 months with Parker I don't even want to think about it) and it surely isn't often that an inlaw feels as accepted as I do. I also want to thank you for showing me how to be strong and perservere when tragedy strikes. You are truly an amazing woman.
Third, my grandmother (aka Nanny). Nanny, you've shown me how to never let life get you down, how to perservere through the hardest of life's circumstances. And I have a sneaking suspicion you will show me how to come out of those hard times looking and feeling better than ever. You've shown me what it is to always, and I mean always, have someone in my corner no matter whether I've earned that kind of loyalty or not.
And lastly, my friends. Whether you have one baby, twins, or even those really adventageous of you who have four or five little blessings, you ladies show me how to put on foot in front of another. How to be a momma and keep my sanity. How drinks and fried pickles can make the troubles of a long week disappear. And, most importantly, that sometimes your 'family' is made up of friends.
So, whether I find myself being a mommy, wife, friend, Christian, or teacher, you can bet that some mother out there paved my way, laid the foundation, or sowed the seeds of my character. And for that, I am forever grateful for you. Grateful today on Mother's Day and every other day of the year!


No comments:
Post a Comment