Thursday, January 12, 2012

Gingerbread Gems

Remember last year's disastrous gingerbread house attempt? Gingerbread 'junk' as we decided to call it. Well, unlike all the fancy-schmancy gingerbread house makers of the world, the e's just aren't quite there. We are crafty and definitely know our way around painting, sewing, and a little paper crafting. However, after much reflection I can without hesitation admit that we are not 'from scratch' gingerbread house makers. We are not even 'from gingerbread house making kit that you purchase at the store' gingerbread house makers. At least not now.

For whatever reason I've decided that making gingerbread houses needs to be a tradition at our house. It wasn't part of my childhood, but what's a Christmas season without a gingerbread house making session for an over-achieving, neurotic mother such as myself? So, after last years catastrophe, I decided to go back to my roots. Old school...as in elementary school. Oooh yeah! Milk carton gingerbread house making! Gotta love it! Worked then. Worked like a gem now!

gingerbread collage

You also have to have some cute gingerbread makers!

DSC_1660 with name

DSC_1661 with name

Spreadin' it out...

DSC_1680 edited

Concentrate...

DSC_1667 edited

Take a few tensy-wensy bites. Who's gonna notice?

DSC_1658 edited

It's starting to come together!

DSC_1668 edited

Which way to the North Pole?

DSC_1674 edited

Now that we've got a first class mess going on...

DSC_1670 edited

TA-DA!

DSC_1685 edited

DSC_1686 edited

In all seriousness, this was one of the most fun things we did this holiday season. Any of you that know my husband's family (or are my husband's family) know that my sister-in-law and Shaun's cousin 'J' are excellent gingerbread makers! I'm not just talking gingerbread kit kind of excellent. I'm talking homeade (like out of the oven in the oven in your kitchen) gingerbread that is transformed into roller coasters and all sorts of snazzy masterpieces. Now that Aunt Trisha is in Heaven, I get a real kick out of picturing her reaction to our gingerbread attempts down here on earth. I can't quite decide if she'd be mortified at our clear inferiority or completely entertained. Either way, junk or gems, the 3 little e's had fun (well 2 out of the 3 lol) and we will definitely do this again next year. Exactly this. By no means are we ready to attempt anything else 'more advanced.' :)

No comments:

Post a Comment