So recently some friends of mine started couponing. I've never really clipped coupons. I suppose I'd never been in a financial situation where I needed to help my family that way. And when they first started talking about it I thought they were crazy to spend (what I thought) was so much time to just save a couple dollars. Well after about 2 weeks of hearing how they were saving $60 or more dollars on every grocery shopping trip I knew I had to figure out what their secrets were!
A lady in our area holds a free class every couple weeks to teach people new to couponing how to save major money on their grocery bill. She is a stay at home mom and has seriously helped her family financially by couponing. For her it is almost as if she makes an income, even though she doesn't work. She came and taught my twins group how she coupons.
Here's the short of it: You collect coupons from newspapers and online sources. Then you watch the weekly ads at grocery stores to see when items go on sale. Next you match up your coupons with the for sale items. A local store in our area called Homeland doubles every coupon up to $1. So, for example, if cereal was on sale for $3 and you have a $1 off coupon, it doubles to be $2 off. You pay only $1 for the box of cereal instead of the $4.50 full price.
I usually spend about an hour a week clipping, organizing, and planning my trips. I've put together a binder where I keep all my coupons and according to my friends the time spent preparing decreases and the savings increase the longer you stick with couponing. I was also worried that my friends were probably just buying things no matter what they needed because they were on sale. Because I like things organized and clutter-free (you wouldn't know that if you saw my house right now!), I didn't want to be buying items just because they were on sale. So, below are pictures and a little info about each of my shopping trips where I've only purchased items that I know my family will use. Perhaps it will inspire you to start saving money too! I mean, seriously ladies. Even if your mortgage payment isn't in limbo, who couldn't use a spa day or a special date night with their husband?!?
Trip #1: saved 45% (no pic)
Trip #2: saved 54% (no pic)
Trip #3: saved 63%
Groceries worth $165. I paid $61!
All of these items I use either cooking or around the house. I did buy a lot of cereal this trip, but because cereal freezes (and I have 3 freezers all the sudden!) I bought chex cereal to make chex mix during football season and/or people chow during the holidays. My best deal on this trip with Fabreeze Fabric Refreshner. I purchased 2 at a value of $5.63 each. I had a buy one/get one coupon AND a $2 off which doubles to $3 off. So for two big bottles of Fabreeze I spent a total of $2.36!
Trip #4: saved 54%.
Groceries worth $102. I paid $54!
Again, these are all items we use plus the majority of things freeze really well. I was able to get sticks of butter super cheap (I forget the actual price), but can freeze them until I get ready to bake or make goodies this fall. The ketchup was only 60 cents between sale and coupon, and since we go through serious amounts of ketchup around here, it is always good to have some on hand!If you want more information let me know. Also, for those of you who I'm friends with on facebook, I'll be posting when the next class will be held in case you want to get in on the free money too!



My friends and I recently started couponing as well! I think it's a big fad going around right now, but one that will certainly stay for us Momma's!
ReplyDeleteI've become quite the coupon clipper since the girls were born, and it almost seems like a sport to me now.
ReplyDeleteI've never been to a coupon class, though, and I'd love to see what kind of organizational binder you have. That seems to be my biggest drain on time...going through coupons in my small coupon wallet every week to match things up, and then once a month to catch any coupons that are close to expiring.
Also, what websites have you found useful for coupons?
Thanks so much!
I am a coupon clipper myself, but have never saved that much money! Please let me know about the next class!
ReplyDelete